Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grrrr

Okay so I started on a new outfit for A.  It is basically the skull dress (seen below) made into a shirt with matching pants.  I figured hey, I've made the pattern once before, albeit with help, so it would be a perfect one to try by myself.



So I cut everything out:


And went to work sewing.  Everything went along pretty well, until:


Do you see?? Do you see that the seems don't match up by almost a 1/2 inch!!!  I had tried a different way of cutting out fabric and apparently made the back yoke WAY smaller than the front.  I'm an idiot.  I'm going to be honest now, I was going to let it go.  It's under her arm, who the heck is gonna see.  But I showed my husband and the first thing out of his mouth is "Oh I'm sorry you ruined it honey."  I was ticked off but he was right I couldn't put A in this.

So, today I took it apart (just the back) and went to cut out new pieces.  Somehow between where I keep my patterns and my kitchen table where I do the cutting I lost piece #2 which is the piece I needed.  I don't know where it went.  The Earth has swallowed it up.  So I then had to completely take apart the small yoke piece, lay it down on paper and add 1/4 in. around it to give me:



Thank goodness my math was correct because I only barely had enough fabric to cut two more yokes out and leave enough for pants.

I went through it all again and this is the result:


Not perfect but pretty darn close.  This is just with a basting stitch in to see if it worked.  Now I gotta finish this seam and then put in the zipper.  The dreaded zipper.

Finished picks tomorrow.  Though I don't think the pants will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment