Sunday, July 31, 2011

Skulls and Bows

Sorry it's been so long.  We own a house in Upstate NY and our tenant turned in notice of leaving.  I've had to drive up there twice to show it.  We finally have a new tenant lined up but all the driving has left little time for any sort of craftiness.

First order of business is to tell you that I have NOT finished my shawl.  The reason I haven't is that I took it to a knitting/crochet group and promptly kept knitting in a circle rather than back and forth!  I now have 300+ stitches to tink back.  So, the shawl has been put in the naughty bin and I will take it out when it feels it can act better.

I have though been sewing.  I started the Mari Dress for A with some of the knit fabric I got from Girl Charlee.  I had read that sewing knits on a sewing machine can be a bit trying.  This is what I'm finding to be the case.  I don't know if it is my sewing machine, user error or what but if I'm within 1/2 inch of the end of fabric my machine won't feed the fabric through it just stitches in one place!  Very frustrating.  Until I figure out what to do about that I've put the dress to the side.

I have however finished a purse!  A friend had seen this great girl skull pattern in the remnant bin at Joann and picked it up for me.  I think it was 1.5 yds for $2.  Then the pink fabric is this woven stuff with Lycra in it so it is stretchy.  I picked it up from Feminine Touch Fabrics in Syracuse, NY for $1 a yd!!!  So this purse cost me maybe .75 to make in fabric!  It cost me a bit more in sanity.  The purse itself was easy I used this reversible bag pattern.  The pattern is very simple and I had no troubles at all until I came to the straps.  I just couldn't get them right for the life of me.  My top stitching is atrocious!  Anyway I ripped them back like 4 times and finally said enough they will just have to do.  So here it is in all its glory, my first purse:



Not horrible from far away.  Just please don't look too close!

No comments:

Post a Comment